Crispy-Crunchy Granola Munchies
From Emeril's Book, "There's A Chef In My Soup"
This not only makes a terrific snack but also doubles as an awesome breakfast cereal. Keep in mind that if you use salted nuts, you’ll need to decrease the amount of salt used from a half teaspoon to a quarter teaspoon. And hey, substitute whatever nuts and dried fruits you like best. These Crispy-Crunchy Granola Munchies will keep up to
1 week at room temperature if stored in an airtight container-but I bet yours won’t last that long!
Yield 6 generous cups
1/3 cup honey
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup mixed nuts, including slivered almonds and coarsely chopped pecans and walnuts
1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup hulled green pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins or golden raisins (or a combination of both)
1/4 cup dried cranberries or blueberries
1/4 cup dried banana chips
Measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, knife, small saucepan, large bowl, large wooden spoon, baking sheet, oven mitts or pot holders, fork, wire rack, large mixing bowl, airtight container
1. Make sure the oven rack is in the center position and preheat the oven to 325ºF.
2. Combine the honey and butter in a small saucepan. Heat on low heat and stir until melted. Remove from the heat.
3. Combine the oats, mixed nuts, coconut, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and salt in a large bowl. Stir with a large wooden spoon to mix well.
4. Pour the honey butter over the oat mixture and stir until well combined.
5. Spread the granola evenly in a thin layer on a baking sheet.
6. Bake, stirring every 5 minutes with a wooden spoon to prevent the granola from sticking or burning, until fragrant and golden brown, about 20 minutes. (Do not overcook-the granola will crisp as it cools.)
7. Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove the baking sheet from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. When completely cooled, transfer the granola to a large mixing bowl and stir in the dried fruit.
8. Transfer to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 1 week.
An airtight container is important-this will keep your Crispy-Crunchy Granola Munchies fresh!
Be very careful when stirring the hot nut mixture!
Click here for more Holiday recipes and tips from Chef Emeril!
Buy Emeril's Book: "There's A Chef In My Soup"
| Back to Emeril | Previous Recipe |
Emerils.com is a registered trademark owned by Emeril's Food of Love Productions, LLC. Copyright © 2001. All Rights Reserved. Reprinted with permission.