Pet Safety during a Hurricane
- If you live in an evacuation zone, your hurricane plan should include your pets. Before a hurricane nears, decide where your pet will stay.
- If you plan to stay with family, friends, or in a hotel, make sure your pet is welcome. If you plan to bring your pet to a veterinary clinic or boarding facility, be sure to contact them early enough so you can reserve a space for your pet.
- Make sure to have your pet vaccinated by mid-May, and gather all vaccination papers and identification (including pictures of your pet). See our Pet Vaccination Checklist.
- Consider spaying or neutering your pet.
During the storm:
- Be sure to stock up on food and any medications your pet may need.
- If your pet is small, you should have a carrier ready for transporting it.
- Always keep a collar with an ID on your dog or cat; and keep a leash nearby.
- Keep updated pictures of your pet with your hurricane supply kit.
After the storm:
- It isn't necessarily safe to leave your pet home in a secure room. But if you must, confine it to a pet carrier in an interior closet or bathroom. Be sure to leave plenty of food, water, & other toys your pet feels comfortable with.
- Use caution when allowing your pet outdoors. Any scents that were familiar before the stormmay be different or unnoticeable. There may be downed powerlines, broken glass or other hazards that could present real dangers to your pet.
- Beware of food or water outside your home which may be contaminated.
- If you have lost your pet, act quickly by contacting veterinary clinics, boarding facilities, the Humane Society, & Animal Control (this is why those pictures of your pet are very important). Be sure to do the same if you find someone else's lost pet.
Pet Vaccination Checklist:
- Bordetella (Kennel Cough)
- Feline Distemper Combination
- Feline Leukemia
- Negative Coggins
- Eastern & Western Equine Encephalomyelitis
The safety information contained on these pages is provided as a courtesy to Jupiter Parents' visitors. Jupiter Parents makes no representations or guarantees concerning the effectiveness of such information. In no event shall Jupiter Parents be held liable for any failure of such safety information.